Meet the One With the Bloody Stump

Meet the One With the Bloody Stump

by Kerry Scott on 3 April 2009

2506896257_55d781c6e0

Photo by Kevin N. Murphy

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the guy who sent a condom with his resume.  I’m pretty sure this was his take on the old story of the guy who sent a shoe with a note that said “I want to get my foot in the door.”  Everyone’s heard that story.  It’s, like, the original Tale of the Cluefree.

Well, years ago, a friend of mine got one that wasn’t a shoe.

It was a foot.

A bloody foot.

Not a real human foot, because that surely would have been on CNN (and later, it would have been turned into a Law and Order episode), but something like what you might find in a Halloween shop.  Except it wasn’t Halloween.

The bloody foot was accompanied by a note:

I AM SENDING YOU THIS FOOT SO I CAN GET MY FOOT IN YOUR DOOR BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO WORK THERE.  AND IF YOU CLOSE THE DOOR ON MY FOOT I WILL JUST KEEP IT THERE AND IT WILL BE BLOODY JUST LIKE THIS FOOT AND IT WILL BE ON YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN SO PLEASE CALL ME ASAP.  I REALLY WANT TO WORK AT YOUR COMPANY BECAUSE YOU ARE VERY CLOSE TO MY HOUSE AND I AM A GREAT EMPLOYEE AND I NEED A JOB BAD.  YOU WON’T BE SORRY.

Yes, it was in all caps.

He apparently called to follow up a couple dozen times, and showed up several times to talk to the hiring manager.  They had to threaten to call the police to get him to stop.

So, the moral of the story is:  don’t send goofy stuff with your resume.  Especially bloody stuff.  Because that’s just not putting your best foot forward, y’know?

Tales of the Cluefree appear pretty much every Friday.  Past stories are here.

{ 7 comments }

shoppingann April 3, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I don’t think I’d call that goofy… That’s frightening!! Weirdest story I’ve heard was a candidate for a sales job sent boxing gloves and said he’d like to knock out the competition. I want to know who’s giving these candidates these types of crazy career advice?

shoppingann’s last blog post..Overly Casual Candidates

Rachel - I Hate HR April 3, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Gimmicks are a bad idea.

This was a very very bad gimmick.

abdpbt April 3, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Wow. That is . . . astonishing.

abdpbt’s last blog post..Jean-Paul Sartorialist and Simone DeBoringWear: A Love Story

Charles April 5, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I agree with shoppingann – that is beyond goofy – it is frightening! It could be taken by some to be a threat and certainly that person deserves a visit from law enforcement.

HR Minion April 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Geez, psycho much? People should only be creative in good, non creepy ways.

HR Minion’s last blog post..An exception to every rule

Jenica May 1, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I laughed throughout reading that post at the creepy weirdness of it. Who could possibly think that was a good idea? Do you or any of your brilliant HR readers know about a case where someone actually DID get an interview or job with one of these gimicky tactics?

The closest I can think of was a friend of a friend who supposedly got into Yale by answering their application question to discuss a time they took a risk by writing “RISK” in red crayon on a piece of paper and sending that in as his application essay. Story goes that the admissions people called him and told him it was the most brilliant thing they’d seen the whole year.

Jenica’s last blog post..#5. The Whirlwind Wheelchair

Kerry Sandberg Scott May 2, 2009 at 10:03 am

I can’t think of anyone offhand who has gotten an interview based on one of these kinds of gimmicks. I’m sure they’re out there, but I haven’t met them.

I have had a few hiring managers who were prone to thinking these people might be good hires because they’re “creative.” For most lines of work, I don’t agree, although I would guess that there are some fields (advertising, PR, etc.) where that might make sense.

The Yale story…wow. That’s fascinating, and a little horrifying. I guess it’s better than getting into Yale based on your daddy’s connections though.

Comments on this entry are closed.