Meet the One Who’s, Like, Not a People Person

Meet the One Who’s, Like, Not a People Person

by Kerry Scott on 19 June 2009

100_36621

Overheard at a fast-food place recently:

Manager: Tell me why you want this position.

Kid: Because my mom, like, says I have to, like, get, like, a job this summer.  So, like, whatever.

Manager: Umm, okay.  What made you apply here?

Kid: Well, like, you have a lot of cute girls working here [laughs in a Beavis-esque manner] and, like, I heard the pay is good.

Manager: I see.  Is there anything that you think you might not like about working here?

Kid: Well, yeah, sometimes customers are, y’know, dicks.  So I wouldn’t want to work with the customers.  I just want to, like, scoop the custard and stuff.  But no customers, because I am, like, not a people person, y’know?

True story.  The manager spent another 10 minutes earnestly interviewing him too.

DISCLAIMER: This took place at a frozen custard place, but not the one in the photo (we have a lot of frozen custard places here in Wisconsin, because we are America’s Dairyland and whatnot).  The one in the photo is a place we visited up north in Fish Creek, Wisconsin that has very friendly employees who don’t laugh anything like Beavis.  They also make a kick-ass sundae with chocolate custard, Oreo cookies, and MARSHMALLOW SAUCE.  It will blow your mind.  One of the things that’s wrong with society today is that there is not enough marshmallow sauce.  I am hoping it will make a comeback, like red velvet cake and chocolate Malt-o-Meal.  So, employees of Not Licked Yet:  I salute you for your efforts.

Tales of the Cluefree appear pretty much every Friday, although usually without the part about dessert.  Past stories are here.

Kathy June 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Kerry,
I recently received an Interview Questionnaire, how formal should my responses be? as formal as my resume and cover letter, or a bit more casual?

Barbra Sundquist, Bio Writer June 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Very funny. I found it via Twitter.

carla June 19, 2009 at 7:12 pm

That sort of reminds me of when I was looking for work several years back. I was an Administrative Assistant in the financial industry but I was willing to do anything since I had been looking for several months and needed to pay bills. :)

I applied at a local clothing store that was a part of a national chain. A few weeks later, I was invited in to a group interview. When I got there, I was the only person wearing a suit – mistake #1. I also sat up straight, looked the interviewer in the eye – mistake #2. I had a copy of my resume in a leather binder – mistake #3. I can go on.

Needless to say, the high school and college students (I was in my mid 20s) that wore jeans, popped chewing gum, wore too much makeup and slouched was the ones who they considered for the job.

I guess you have to get in where you fit in! I sounds like the Kid and Manager were made for each other.

carla’s last blog post..Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash – product review

Kerry Sandberg Scott June 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Kathy—it depends on the job, the types of questions, etc. Generally speaking, though, I’d use about the same tone as your cover letter…you don’t want to sound like a different person from the one who applied.

As Carla points out, though, different jobs call for different approaches. If you’re applying for a job that requires a sense of humor (like, I dunno, waitress at one of those period-diners with the wisecracking waitstaff), then you’ll want to add some of that in.

Generally, though, if you balance being reasonably professional with being yourself, you should be okay. Good luck!

class factotum June 21, 2009 at 8:29 am

The good news is that based on my extensive survey of Milwaukee-area frozen custard shops (all in the name of science, of course), I am pretty confident this kid won’t be hired. All the scoopers I have seen have been real, you know, like, people people.

PS Have you tried the custard at the Public Market? They have at least a dozen flavors! For sale! At one time! I tried the guava and it was fabulous.

class factotum’s last blog post..Marriage 101, Lecture 695: Togetherness

Kerry June 22, 2009 at 9:42 am

I didn’t know they had custard at the Milwaukee Public Market. I’ll have to check that out. I’ve been meaning to get down there anyway.

Kerry’s last blog post..4 Dumb Things People Do During Interviews