Meet the One Who Didn’t Need a F__king Thing

Meet the One Who Didn’t Need a F__king Thing

by Kerry Scott on 10 July 2009

2192192956_c9023211ca

A few years ago, I was trying to fill a recruiter position.

I advertised in the usual places, and got a bunch of resumes.  I emailed the ones I wanted to set up for phone interviews, but there was one whose email bounced because the mailbox was full.

I didn’t have time to call the person during the day, so I took her resume home with me and called after the kids were in bed.  I’ve learned the hard way that it’s a bad idea to give candidates your home telephone number right off the bat, so I did that *67 thing, where you don’t show up on their caller ID.  A lot of times when I do that people don’t pick up the phone, because it comes up as “Anonymous.”  I understand, because I don’t take those calls either.  I just wanted to be able to leave a voice mail message and ask this person to come in for an interview.

It didn’t roll to voice mail though.  She answered the phone.

In fact, she answered the phone by saying, “Who the f__k is this?”

I was a little surprised, so I paused and started to say, “Ummm…”

She said, “What the f__k?  Are you trying to sell me something?  Let me tell you something, bitch.  I don’t need a f__king thing.”

And then she hung up.

So that was that.

Except she emailed me a week later, asking if I’d received her resume and reiterating her interest in the job.  I would have let it go, but the email was kind of snotty.

So I emailed her back and told her I’d called her on the previous Wednesday night, but that she’d told me she didn’t need a f__king thing.

I never heard from her again.  I can’t say that I blame her.

Tales of the Cluefree appear pretty much every Friday. Past stories are here.

Photo by Striatic

{ 10 comments }

Barbra Sundquist July 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Too funny. And how revealing. If she had that kind of rude attitude at home, she likely had it on the job as well.

Barbra Sundquist’s last blog post..How to do a 3-Way Telephone Call

Terri July 10, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Kerry, you crack me up. Thanks for the Friday afternoon GUFFAW!

Ask a Manager July 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I can’t let that kind of thing go either. I’ll always say something. I’m glad I’m not alone.

Ask a Manager’s last blog post..when do I tell my interviewer that I’m dating one of their employees?

Tim G July 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I can’t say I ever had that happen, but I loved the way you managed it.
Might have been the most valuable job search advice she ever got, even though she probably didn’t need any f__king advice, either.

Tim G’s last blog post..Always Make New Mistakes

TisDone July 10, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Maybe the woman was probably eating a (late/early) dinner, or getting her kids ready for bed, or just trying to relax – the phone had probably rung off the hook with telemarketers all night … while that’s certainly not my style for answering the phones, I wouldn’t have given up on her in that scenario.

A better test from my perspective would be can she pull herself together the instant after you identify yourself and the reason you are intruding on her personal time. Remember, you knew why you were calling, she didn’t.

Kerry Sandberg Scott July 11, 2009 at 6:45 am

The thing is, this was for a recruiter job, recruiting for $8/hour blue collar positions. You get all kinds in that role, including people who will annoy the crap out of you, and you have to keep your cool. So if having a phone call during dinner/bedtime/whatever would push you to that point, what would the candidate drama have done? Because some candidates do WAY worse than call you at an inconvenient time. I can’t have someone who treats candidates like crap…there are enough of those kind of recruiters out there.

When I’m having dinner, getting the kids to bed and so forth, I just don’t answer the phone.

carla July 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I cant say I blame her, but I would never call anyone a b*tch over the phone (or in person for the matter). Whenever someone calls me between the hours of 5:00 and 8:00, my radar goes up and I am not so chipper when I answer because we do get a lot of calls from people either trying to sell me something or solicit donations. I try my best to answer with a smile regardless.

carla’s last blog post..Financial Prosperity = Planet in destitute?

Charles July 12, 2009 at 10:38 am

I like the fact that you did let her know – this way she knows that it was HER behaviour and not something on your end.

I’d like to say that there’s a lesson for her (and a very good lesson for everyone else on why one should be on his/her best behaviour at all times); but, I would venture a guess that she might very well be the kind of person that will blame someone else (her husband, her boyfriend, her kids, etc) for her bad mood that cost her the job opportunity.

class factotum July 12, 2009 at 11:14 am

Yep. No excuse. When I don’t want to talk (because the phone is for MY convenience, not that of my callers), I don’t answer the phone.

I call back when it is convenient and ask my callee (?) if this is a convenient time for him to talk, which shouldn’t be necessary but I have often launched into something only to have someone say, “I can’t talk right now” and I’m thinking, “Then why did you answer the phone?”

When I do answer the phone and it’s a telemarketer, I just say politely, “I’m not interested thank you” and hang up the phone. My husband will spend ten minutes getting rid of a telemarketer by explaining why he’s not interested or telling the DNC why he’s not giving money to them this year, but I get right to the point. I don’t want to waste my time or theirs but one does not have to be rude about it.

class factotum’s last blog post..Saturday photos

carla July 16, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I understand: If you don’t want to talk to telemarketers, don’t answer. But what do you do if you do expect a ligament call? I cant hide and put my life on hold and not answer the phone for fear of having to (politely) hang up on someone. :)

carla’s last blog post..Guest Post: Eco-Designers Embrace Full Figures

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }