How Not to Handle LinkedIn Recommendations

How Not to Handle LinkedIn Recommendations

by Kerry Scott on 12 August 2009

73514972_89318652f0

Here’s a clue:

Before you ask someone for a LinkedIn recommendation, scroll down to the bottom of their profile.

See the part where it says, “Interested In” and then a bunch of stuff like career opportunities, getting back in touch, and so forth?   That’s important.  Read that carefully.

If you don’t see “Reference Requests” as one of the things the person is “Interested In,” it means they’re not open to receiving reference requests via LinkedIn.  They specifically went to the trouble of unchecking that box.  Not everyone participates in stuff like that. It’s a free country.

So you definitely shouldn’t request a reference from that person six times. In fact, if you’re requested a reference six times from anyone, and they haven’t provided it, it means they’re not going to recommend you.

Just sayin’.

{ 7 comments }

Lance Haun August 13, 2009 at 12:44 am

If you would just do it for me really quick, I wouldn’t have to bug you so much about it.

Kerry Sandberg Scott August 13, 2009 at 5:59 am

Ha! Here’s my recommendation for you: “Lance is the guy who lost his job in a recession or depression or whatever, and STILL got another one in eleven days. That’s cool. Plus, although I’ve never met him in person, I suspect he smells like bacon. People like that.”

That oughta do it, right?

Bill G August 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm

If you’ve asked someone for a reference six times and they still haven’t provided it, you don’t want theirs!

In fact, I’d be worried about the desirability of someone’s recommendation if I have to ask them twice.

Tim G August 14, 2009 at 12:06 am

Another thing I’ve noticed is mutual recommendation within the same week or so. And one or both looks to be not currently connected to a job (that’s nice speak for ‘unemployed’).
Get your recommendations when you think you don’t need them!
.-= Tim G´s last blog ..Exploration is Never Done =-.

Clare August 17, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’d love to know where you got the photo – and how it was taken…

Just an aside!

Kerry Sandberg Scott August 17, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I got the photo on Flickr (although I remember it making the rounds via email, back in the days when you sent funny stuff to your friends via email instead of via Facebook or Twitter). I have no idea how they did it, but I would guess a whole lot of Photoshopping was involved.

Clare August 18, 2009 at 7:32 am

Would hope so!
.-= Clare´s last blog ..Use your personality to get a job =-.

Comments on this entry are closed.