Meet the What Not to Wear Gang

Meet the What Not to Wear Gang

by Kerry Scott on 25 September 2009

3334978156_0c7dea1f14

A couple of months ago, I asked some of my HR friends for their crazy interview stories.  A lot of their responses were about candidate attire.  They told me about:

• A candidate who showed up for an interview for a job as a day care center attendant in a t-shirt with the word “BITCH” in big bold letters
  • A candidate who showed up in full cowboy regalia, including spurs, for a warehouse job
  • Another candidate who showed up for the warehouse job, this one in a Superman t-shirt (although I have to admit, I actually like this one—a sense of humor is a big plus for me in any job)
  • A candidate who showed up wearing a suit and Vans

Clue:  You don’t have to wear an Armani suit to an interview, but you do have to put your thinking cap on before you get dressed.

Also, since “can women wear pants to an interview” remains one of the top search strings of all time on this blog, let me take this opportunity to say it again:  It’s 2009.  Wear pants.  It’s fine.  Really.

Tales of the Cluefree appear pretty much every Friday. Past stories are here.

Photo by bobster885

{ 6 comments }

Ken Moir September 25, 2009 at 8:31 am

A suit with Vans? That’s a clue-free candidate. But a suit with lowtop Chuck Taylors? That’s Glenn Beck, our most influential rodeo clown.
.-= Ken Moir´s last blog ..10 steps to recruiting success =-.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 25, 2009 at 9:35 am

Ohhhh do not EVEN get me started on Glenn Beck, for real.

Although I didn’t know he wore Chuck Taylors with a suit. That reminds me of the prom…which was 20 years ago.

Amy Boland September 25, 2009 at 9:55 am

I have always been irritated with Garrison Keillor’s affectation of wearing red sneakers with his suit. I would not hire him.
.-= Amy Boland´s last blog ..Circle Salad =-.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 25, 2009 at 10:17 am

I love Garrison Keillor enough to forgive him pretty much any wardrobe transgression. I love him as much as I loathe Glenn Beck. That’s a lot.

But you’re right, it wouldn’t kill him to change the shoes.

majigail September 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm

I had a candidate for an administrative assistant show up in sweatshorts and a tee shirt. I can’t tell you how often people who up to get applications in crazy street clothes… clue people!!

laura November 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Maybe that last candidate was channeling Doctor Who? ;)

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }