Want to Use Twitter to Job Hunt? Read This First.

Want to Use Twitter to Job Hunt? Read This First.

by Kerry Scott on 30 September 2009

3920802507_7d04747e8f_o

Clue Wagon reader and commenter Jessica Lewis has put together a three part series on how to get started on Twitter, and it’s aimed squarely at people who are networking for jobs.  If you’ve been putting this off, or if you’re one of the people I was talking about in my post about people who join and then just sit there waiting for lightening to strike, you need to read it immediately.  I’ve had a sticky note on my monitor that said “Post about joining Twitter that isn’t stupid” for months, but I haven’t written it.  Now I don’t have to, because Jessica did a way better job than I would have.  Woo hoo!

On a completely unrelated note, you might also want to check out this post about the six fonts that piss people off.  Inexplicably, some people care a lot about what font you use on your resume, as you can see on this discussion on Ask a Manager a while back.  It’s weird, but it’s probably important to know, because you never know when you’ll encounter someone who cares.  I always recommend Ariel, because I’ve never heard anyone say they hated it, and because it doesn’t get fuzzy if if you photocopy it repeatedly (although that’s no longer a big deal, because people email it around instead of distributing copies).

Photo by clevercupcakes

{ 6 comments }

Jessica Lewis September 30, 2009 at 9:28 am

Wow, thanks for dedicating half a post to me, Kerry! The most publicity my blog had before this was a tweet from Brazen Careerist. I am flattered that you think my series is not stupid.

My first failed experience with Twitter was just as you described: I joined and sat there waiting for lightning to strike. That’s what a lot of Twitter-for-job-hunt stories lead you to believe will happen. But those stories show the result, not the process that led to the result. If you’re like me and don’t already have an active Twitter life, you’re never going to get that result until you put in the time to build a Twitter life. It’s a process that I’m definitely still learning.
.-= Jessica Lewis´s last blog ..High standard =-.

Sabrina September 30, 2009 at 9:51 am

Regarding fonts… I was in a newspaper design seminar in college and they said that for reading, a serif font is best because the eyes can follow it better and it makes for less eye strain. Sounds OK to me! I had been using Garamond on my resume because I liked how it looked. And then I went into an interview where they had printed my resume from an online copy and clearly didn’t have Garamond because it grew to two pages. I went home, changed the font to Times New Roman and sure enough, it stretched. Well I could NOT have that. It might not be original but at least it displays the way I intended it to when others read it.

lori September 30, 2009 at 11:45 am

I actually dislike Arial! I think it’s an ugly Helvetica knock-off. But, I know it’s not a normal person’s opinion. I usually use a prettier sans serif, unless I HAVE to send a resume in Word form (shudder) instead of a PDF. Then I use the dreaded Arial. Why DO people prefer Word? It seems like it never translates very well, with all the different versions of Word, operating systems and fonts (Times vs. Times New Roman) out there.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 30, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I don’t think people necessarily prefer Word…it’s just that that’s what their IT departments have given them.

A lot of people are sending resumes as PDFs these days. That at least solves the translation problem in terms of fonts.

Darren October 1, 2009 at 6:12 am

I can see not sending a resume in something odd like Comic Sans or one of those German fonts. But if an employer is going to flip over whether a resume is written in Arial or Helvetica or the wrong version of Times, then I probably don’t want to work for them anyway.

Kerry Sandberg Scott October 1, 2009 at 6:49 am

Darren—I agree.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }