Why You Shouldn’t Customize Your Resume For Each Job Opportunity

Why You Shouldn’t Customize Your Resume For Each Job Opportunity

by Kerry Scott on 9 September 2009

2156682383_459f510d89

Something came up in the comments of this thread that I’d like to talk about further:  the idea that you should your cover letter and resume for every job opportunity.

I see this advice posted fairly frequently, and I always wonder what those people are smoking.  Then I hear from job seekers who say they are spending a couple of hours crafting a response to each job posting (aside from the online application itself, which can’t be helped).  I’m always shocked when I hear that.  It just seems nuts to me.  If I spent a couple of hours on each cover letter/resume bundle, I’d be depressed and crabby…and that depressed crabbiness would probably show in the finished product, in my interviews, and in my interactions with my family and friends.  That’s bad.

Here’s the part I don’t get:  What are you all customizing exactly?  Because the cover letter should be 4-5 (short) paragraphs at most, and since the first and last paragraphs are standard stuff like contact information.  That leaves you a couple of (short) paragraphs to customize.  You definitely should do that, but there are only so many things you can say, and after a few months of job hunting, you’ll have said all of them.  This part should take 10-15 minutes, tops.  If it’s taking longer, you’re probably just stressing yourself out, which isn’t going to improve the end product one bit.

As for customizing the resume….well, here I’m completely stumped.  If you have equal experience in two or more fields (like, say, you’ve worked a couple of years in retail and a couple of years in HR), you can have two different resumes for each of those fields, so that you can look for jobs in both.  I can see why that would make sense.  But to change the resume itself for each opening seems unnecessary to me.  Your experience is your experience, so how can you change it that much?  That’s what the cover letter is for—to draw out how your experience applies to this particular position.  That’s the entire purpose of a cover letter.  Doing so on the resume as well means you are sending them a version of yourself that’s based on your guess as to what they’re looking for.  You’d have to be a pretty good guesser to make that worthwhile.

Your resume should be focused on presenting your experience in the best possible light, not in a light you think they might want to see.  Even if you happen to guess right (which is unlikely), it’s creepy to receive a resume that looks like a copy-and-paste of the job description.  I always wonder about the authenticity of the ones that look like such a direct match that they can’t possibly be real.

Unless you’re applying to one of those long-shot, way-out-of-your-field opportunities, I suggest sticking to a (short) customized cover letter and the version of your resume that best reflects your achievements in the field that applies to the position.  The time you save can be better spent networking, and the energy you save can be spent keeping your spirits up so that you can continue to plug away at finding a job.  It’s hard enough not to get sucked into the abyss of depression and self-flagellation when you’re job hunting without torturing yourself by investing a couple of unnecessary hours in each opening.  Better investing that time will lead to more opportunities, and that’s a better return on your investment.

If you’re one of the candidates who does this, enlighten me.  What are you customizing?  How long does it take you to apply for a job (aside from those heinous online applications)?  Do you feel it’s worth the investment?

Photo by Rookie Shooter

{ 33 comments }

Claire September 9, 2009 at 11:24 am

This is a very interesting post. As a job searcher, I have repeatedly received advice on how to sharpen my resume and cover letter, and the biggest piece of advice I always receive is to customize it for the position and company.

To some degree, I do agree with what you argue: that you can’t change your experience and your accomplishments. However, I do think that you can reword your description of yourself and your job to make it sound more like the position for which you are applying, which will then hopefully make it more appealing for the recruiter to read. As an entry-level candidate, though, I might have a different perspective since I have had primarily assistant jobs and internships. My responsibilities have been all over the place, and I don’t have years of experience under my belt (yet).

I use primarily the same cover letter and resume for every job I apply for. However, I selectively emphasize certain skills over others depending on the job, especially because I’m applying to jobs in a wide range of industries. For example: I don’t think my experience as an editorial assistant is as relevant for sales-type jobs, so I instead minimize the former and try to greater emphasize my experience working as, say, my position as a recruiter/tour guide for my university. It’s not that I omit either/or, I just choose to play certain skills up more, which will hopefully make me a more attractive candidate for the hiring manager.

A few months ago, I definitely used to be one of those people who spent hours and hours crafting my application. Since then, I’ve realized how much time and effort I wasted. I think the best advice you’ve given here is to have a SHORT cover letter. I threw out all my old ones and crafted a brand new one that is tailored, to the point, and accurately reflects who I am in less than 400 words. Before that, I was expanding margins and shrinking font sizes to try and fit it all onto one page, and I now cringe thinking of how ridiculous my cover letter must have looked to recruiters. I can pretty much bet that they took one look at it, winced, and threw it in the can.

Amy Boland September 9, 2009 at 11:43 am

Last time I was looking for a job, the imperative to “customize my resume” made me want to stab myself every time I sat down to work at the job search. The end result? I quickly started winnowing out which opportunities were worth my time and which were only partial fits. So maybe the basic requirement is “your experience should match the job posting.” If that basic requirement isn’t met, then poking your resume until there’s a match will only end in heartache for everyone.
.-= Amy Boland´s last blog ..Five Reasons to Can Your Own Tomatoes =-.

Dan September 9, 2009 at 11:55 am

When I was doing the resume blast, I soon found that there were more or less two or three “boiler plate” cover letters depending on the exact description. I simply tweak the boiler plate for each company’s description.

You say you worry about resumes that look like a cut-and-paste job from the ad. Well, I had one of those, got an on-site interview, and found the company to be a total non-fit. The other thing to keep in mind about the cut-and-paste job is that so many people giving advice tell candidates that a computer is likely to screen the resumes/cover letters, so you better have the buzzwords they want — and those buzzwords come from the job posting.

novice-hr September 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

thank you for answering this issue. I’ve been wondering the same thing! I can see why the cover letter might take more time to customize because each position is different. But regardless, spending a couple of hours is really a waste of time!
.-= novice-hr´s last blog ..What’s Your Resume Pet Peeve? =-.

Charles September 9, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Yes, a couple of hours is nonsense. However, what Dan just said, buzzwords, is very important.

It seems to me that because there are too many lazy (and nowadays, overwhelmed) recruiters, it make sense to spend a couple of minutes getting the jargon, buzzwords, phrases, etc that they use in the job posting worked into your resume.

For example, as a software trainer, if I say that I am experienced at teaching “beginners,” But the job posting states that they are looking for someone to teach “novice users” would you recommend that it would be a waste of time to change the terms? I know that a good recruiter would see the terms as interchangable; but, you and I both know that not all recruiters are good or even competent.

The only real danger, and it is a big one for me, is that I might screw up the cut and paste. So, I really have to be very careful and then proofread my “customized” resume.

I do not do it every time; but, yea, on some job postings I spend a couple of minutes “customizing” my resume.

job seeker September 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm

another thing is that you never know when something about your background will strike an interviewer or will be relevant for an emerging or future project at a company. happened to me once in 1-2 interviews where companies were unexpectedly interested in an aspect of my experience i was going to rewrite for that posting, but decided not to.

Sabrina September 9, 2009 at 6:53 pm

THANK YOU! I always thought it was nuts to customize your resume for every single job application. When do you do anything else like sleep? I can see not applying for a job as a make up artist with an objective about how it’s your life’s dream to be a psychology professor, but aren’t objectives supposed to be left off anyway?

Ask a Manager September 9, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I love this post.

I once got a resume from a candidate where the blurb describing her current job was literally word for word from our ad. And her alleged job title was exactly the same job title we were hiring for, even though it was an incredibly unusual job title and one that we’d made up ourselves. It was clear she was trying to customize, but the execution was very poor.
.-= Ask a Manager´s last blog ..sometimes it’s not about you =-.

laurie ruettimann September 10, 2009 at 12:36 am

I’m back and forth on this issue. I just read that there are six applicants for every job posted. That’s when I go, “F— it, a resume doesn’t really matter.”

Because it doesn’t. It’s all about who knows you, these days.
.-= laurie ruettimann´s last blog ..Should Recruiting Report Into HR? [#ereexpo] =-.

Clare September 10, 2009 at 2:33 am

I agree with Claire and Amy: some degree of tailoring is important – especially if you’re applying for a job where you have the required skills, but maybe not the most recent experience.

It’s not just a question of rewording / making sure you’ve got the keywords, but also of emphasising some aspects over others, deciding what to leave in or take out, deciding how what you’ve got fits what they need. I don’t think this needs to be hours and hours of work, but if you’ve read the job spec closely enough to know that you’ve got most of what the job requires, then the customisation should be fairly straightforward.

I think Charles also makes a very good point about recruiters – and I’d also say that this equally applies to busy hiring managers if you’re applying directly to a company. Make it easy for them to see your match for the job, making sure all the information relevant for that particular opening is easy to find.
.-= Clare´s last blog ..How to put your references to good use on your CV =-.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 10, 2009 at 9:17 am

Interesting factoid about this thread: It generated more hate mail than any post I’ve ever done. Sometimes I think I’ve figured out this blogging thing, and I know how people will react to stuff. This is not one of those times. People are goofy.

Claire—how long does each of these customizations take? How much of it involves the cover letter versus the resume? Do you have different versions of your resume for different categories of jobs, or are you customizing one resume for each opening? (I’m just curious as to how people do this)

Amy and Dan—that is exactly what I was trying to say. If you have to customize a whole lot, either it’s a total long shot (in which case, that’s fine, but you should recognize that and not get your hopes up), or it’s the wrong job for you and you’re wasting your time.

Clare—part of my problem with that is that you’re customizing from the ad, which is often based on the job description. How often does a written job description actually describe the job…let alone the person in the job? Hardly ever. That’s why when you see an ad that perfectly describes you and your experience, and you apply… and they never call. Because the ad/job description and what they’re actually looking for are two VERY different things.

As for the “buzzword” thing that some of you mentioned…I was going to address that here, because that is one topic that is the hottest of hot buttons for me. It makes me crazy. Unfortunately, the guys who are installing my new central air conditioning unit just arrived, so this morning I’m mostly focused on keeping the kids from gawking at them or stealing their tools.

I’m going to do a whole blog post on the myth of the buzzwords soon (hopefully today, if kid nap time goes well and the air conditioner guys are done and I’m not at Home Depot replacing the tools my kids stole and hid).

So stay tuned.

Josie Summa September 10, 2009 at 9:48 am

I give the advice to customize resumes quite often, but to do it well, you need to know some history, such as:
1) what the hiring manager wants in this person
2) the firm’s challenges/culture/future vision
3) what happened to the predecessor in this role and why is the role is vacant?
4) What were the strengths/weaknesses of the predecessor?

Obviously, a job posting or job description will tell you none of that, so I try to help the candidates fill in the blanks on positions I am helping them investigate and encourage them to do exhaustive research on a few prize positions they are pursuing on their own.

That being said, I also let them know that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” and that one can make an entire CAREER out of re-writing their resume. It doesn’t matter, because the only judge that matters is the one who is looking at the resume, and you typically have NO IDEA who that is or their particular predilections for format, content etc.
.-= Josie Summa´s last blog ..Job Searching? Get Out From Behind the Computer =-.

Claire September 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

Kerry – Yes, I do customize my resume and cover letter for each opening, but it’s not as bad as it sounds. The way I did customizations up until about a month ago was insane: I would write a brand new cover letter and change my resume for each job, which could take several hours at the least. That got old REAL fast, but now my new method takes around 20 minutes or so. The cover letter takes more of that time than the resume, since I try to make that more tailored to the company (I have my “creative” and my “professional” worded versions). With the resume, I just change around my summary, reorder my skills that I want to greater emphasize, and then it’s done. I really don’t touch my experience descriptions, which saves me a lot of time.

In fact, I think often the most draining part of the whole application itself is finding out the recruiter’s name, company address cutting and pasting, making a PDF, and proofreading the whole thing. These are ultimately the most painstaking parts of the application process for me.

Clare September 10, 2009 at 10:41 am

Kerry, I wonder if one of the reasons why you got so much hate mail (as an aside, I don’t understand why people do this – why so much hate?) is that you’re tackling a sacred cow. We all say “customise your CV” – nobody is going to say “send your generic CV to every job you apply for”.

The thing is, you ask any decision maker in any company whether applicants need to send a tailored, relevant CV, and they’re all going to say “yes”. “Make it relevant, make it speak to the hiring manager.” So maybe we’re talking degrees of customisation here.

BTW, I take your point on using the job ad to tailor your CV. But if it’s all a candidate has to go on… What will take the time is finding out about the company, or getting an “in” by other means, which then may make the CV an after-thought anyway.
.-= Clare´s last blog ..How to put your references to good use on your CV =-.

JS September 10, 2009 at 12:14 pm

How odd that I came across this post. The reason I say this is because I wrote a blog post back in March about very similar idea in terms of resume reconfiguration. I’ll just post the URL to the blog post here rather than leave a lengthy comment (I hope you don’t mind):
Death to the What-If Monster

To summarize, I’m in 100% agreement with you!

novice-hr September 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm

ahhh.. I love what Laurie said.. F—- resumes! It’s all about who knows you.
.-= novice-hr´s last blog ..What’s Your Resume Pet Peeve? =-.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Claire—if you’re spending only 20 minutes, that’s not so bad. I probably still wouldn’t do it, but as long as you feel like it’s doing well for you and it’s not dragging you down, it’s cool. I’m mostly concerned with people who feel they HAVE to do it who are doing more harm to their morale than good to their resume.

Clare—All but one of my hate mail senders was someone who makes a living at giving this type of advice, rather than at actually hiring people (and the last one was one of my regulars, so I’m used to him). I was a “decision maker” in terms of hiring, and while I’m not saying that you should send a generic resume to every job, I’m saying your resume should be customized to YOU, not to your psychic vision of what the hiring manager might want. I’m also saying that I don’t think the cost/benefit works if you’re spending a couple of hours at this each time. But I do agree with you that this seems to be a sacred cow (to a degree I hadn’t realized), and I DEFINITELY agree that the time-consuming part is (or should be) finding an “in,” which makes the resume far less relevant. In fact, now that I think about it, some of what I’m seeing is people who are spending time fiddling with their resumes INSTEAD of finding an “in,” because it makes them feel like they’re doing something without having to actually do that whole networking thing. Maybe that’s why it’s troubling me, because while I understand the temptation to do that, I don’t believe it’s productive.

I did write a separate post on the whole buzzword thing, which I’m sure will endear me to even more emailers: http://www.cluewagon.com/2009/09/the-myth-of-resume-buzzwords/

It’s probably good that tomorrow is Cluefree Friday. I’m finding a lot of things in the job hunting world that are tremendously frustrating lately, and if I write posts about all of them, I’m going to wear out my CAPS LOCK key.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

JS—loved your link. I completely empathize. So much about this process and what people believe about it makes them angry, and anger does not help anyone get a job.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 10, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Josie–how do those questions help you adjust the resume?

I love them for interview prep, and maybe for a cover letter. I’m not sure how I would change a resume based on the answer though (except maybe the first one).

Suz September 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I don’t usually customize my resume. I recently came across a position that I want to apply for. The ad states that everything listed in the Required Qualifications must be listed on your resume or you won’t be considered for the position. I was OK with that until I got to the last item on the list. It said “Ability to sit for extended periods of time.” So to be considered for this position, I’ll have to customize my resume and add the fact that I’m capable of sitting in a chair all day. Do they really expect me to add that to my resume???

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 10, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Ugh. Now I’m cranky again. That’s freakin’ ridiculous. That’s some jerk on a power trip who wants to make you do tricks to be deemed worthy of his attention. If you need a job because you’re out of money and out of food, do what you have to do…but if you have a choice, I’m thinking you don’t want to work for a company that does that.

Actually, I think that this recession has given some people a license to treat candidates like crap. They think people will forget…but they won’t. In fact, in the age of the internet, when people can share these kinds of experiences and forward these screw-you job postings to people, they’re going to be paying for this for a looooong time. Eventually, the economy will improve, the baby boomers will finally retire…and every person who Googles them will see the crap they put out there in 2009.

Jess September 11, 2009 at 10:19 am

The lengthy time I spend on a cover letter and resume for a position comes somewhat from the fact that I’m a copy editor, so I spend more time thinking about words than other people might. Add to that the advice to input keywords from the job posting (not necessarily buzzwords, just the terminology used in a job posting), and you’ve got me flipping back and forth between my resume, my cover letter and the job posting making sure all the words are consistent.

What takes me even longer is trying to spell out on my resume how I demonstrated a certain skill listed on the job posting. When I apply for copy editing jobs, I know what to say. Those are scarce in my area, so I’m writing resumes for transitional jobs, ones that use my skills but as only one part of the job. So I have to spell out on my resume that I have used a skill and how I was successful using it. The main skills for the jobs I find are mostly periphery skills for me: I can do them, my past job titles just don’t show it. If I don’t make that connection immediately, I’m deemed unqualified.

Because an HR rep might not have the knowledge to make the connection from what my job title was and what skills that actually involved to how well those skills translate to the job I’m applying for, I have to figure out how to spell them out. My experience is my experience, yes, but no one around me seems to hire for that experience anymore. Transitioning from one job title to another is not as easy as it once was.
.-= Jess´s last blog ..Today’s reading list =-.

Taylor September 11, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Thank you! I, too, have been sucked into the idea of “customizing” my resume for various positions. But I do feel that, for the most part, it is a BIG waste of time, and, like you said, gives a very low ROI, especially in this economy, where the chances that you will hear back from a potential employer are lower than usual.

I like your idea better, and was inspired by some of my friends, who simply have one resume. Why not highlight your best experience in the best possible way, and let the employer decide if they like you? Because if they don’t like what they see, it’s probably not a good match anyway.

Thanks again. ~T.
.-= Taylor´s last blog ..Fun with Amazon =-.

Matt September 11, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I also have experience in several fields, and apply to them all. I used to loathe “online screening” applications, but twice now it has led me to better and better jobs. Apparently they look at that first, ask questions later. It feels lousy cutting and pasting text resumes into a box, with no regard to all the clever fonts and formatting you did in a Word Doc. But a success story is I had a job basically thrown at me from a hiring manager who was in town, desperate to fill a position that day. All I had to do was show up in a clean shirt and tie, present myself well, and immediately I was head-and-shoulders above the other riff that had applied.
The lesson to me was that online applications are not evil, they screen out most of the unqualified, and then a personal quality interview is the easy part.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Jess—I would agree that you’re probably going to need to spend more time on this stuff if you’re trying to stretch into a job that wouldn’t necessarily be an obvious fit at first glance. Most HR/recruiting types are not all that creative (including me), so yeah, sometimes you have to spell it out a little more.

Marianne September 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hi Kerry,

I’m coming into this one a bit, late, but here’s to helping with your super-long comments on this topic!

I have to confess: I do give the advice to customise resume for each position; however I DON’T mean rewrite it every time. That is indeed a real waste of time and risks the copy-paste effect. Instead specific upfront parts are tweaked (or at least checked for relevance).

Reason for this is that unless someone is going for precisely the same role they previously did, , then in the very short space of the resume it’s important to emphasise the right things. For example, if you have background working for agencies as well as for client companies, and you are going for both client and agency roles, then both your profile and the skill set will require something of a tweak each time.

There is also the case where the employer is looking for something specific – for example they may be looking for someone with international project management experience, which is just one part of your skills set. It would be worth drawing this and related skills out more for that employer.

In terms of time, this is not resource intensive (once the original CV is done). The biggest time sink is in analysing the job spec for the position – an example of how this pays off is with one client I worked with, where we spent time analysing the spec for a job he was considering. The way the job description was worded was a bit odd, and after some brainstorming we figured out (rightly) that the hiring manager was unhappy with the team in question and wanted someone to come in, sort them out, and raise their profile. We took a punt on this, tweaked his CV to really push the fact he was a superstar at turning around tricky teams, and indeed he did get selected.

However I also came across one person who took a WEEK to edit his CV for each post, and totally stressed out over it each time. Last I checked he’s still looking… could we compromise with a “don’t be a dumb-ass” CV editing rule?
.-= Marianne´s last blog ..Spend one evening sorting out your career change once and for all (Part 6: 7 Things To Do Instead of Watching Judge Judy) =-.

Thomas September 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Well – interesting post (as always).

I definitely agree with don’t overdo it – and don’t waste valuable time better spent networking or finding leads. Create templates by job types and do tweaks (template yourself). Yes -networking is much more important – but if anyone is just shot-gunning generic resumes (then that’s fairly a waste of time, too and almost as useless as searching Monster.com).

Two points I would add to the great conversation so far.
One – I can mix-in (real – not buzz) words (or experience) the hiring manager wants without guessing, since for jobs I care about…I DO THE HOMEWORK. Through my networking contacts, other research, I often know what they want and do tailor spefic items (where it makes sense).

It is not enough to meet the requirements of the job – you want to be the perfect person for the job. The resume is to get the interview – not the job. I want to improve my chance of making the phone screen cut (and not end up in the maybe pile). Remember – 22 year-old HR intern newbie is likely doing the first screen, so the closer the match to the req the better.

Second – for those of us with varied (such consulting) experience, there may be 13-14 similar examples of my stellar success on a project or endeavor. I may want to include an example that is in that person’s industry (or even for one of their competitors). I know that vertical (or other domain knowledge) is transferable, but the screener may not (let alone the hiring manager).

In this economy – and for a job that really matters – BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY applies. I want every advantage I can get and don’t want to lose out because someone else wanted the job more than I did .

Keep up the awesome blog!

Jim Horrell September 15, 2009 at 12:54 pm

After reading all the responses about should I or shouldn’t I edit my cover letter and resume, I wonder how many people have decided out of frustration or otherwise to not have a resume at all, and to simply go into business for themselves. I’m not saying that would be an easy alternative, but at least it would be a different idea.

Jim Horrell – jrhorrell@live.com

Chris September 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Here’s a thought: it’s all about context. Some resumes indeed don’t need to be customized, but others do.

I’m a consultant, which means I have many projects each year. When I need to submit my resume, I typically have to choose which projects to include (I indicate it is a sample). Rarely I use the same projects for different applications, because making my resume meaningful for each job requires cherry picking the projects that made sense in that case.

If people didn’t care about reading a 6- or 8-page resume, I wouldn’t have to do that.

Kerry Sandberg Scott September 16, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Marianne—I am definitely on board with a “don’t be a dumbass” rule. We should make it into a tattoo.

Jim—I think there actually ARE a lot of people who are saying “screw it” and starting their own businesses (although hopefully not over conflicting job hunting advice). That may be one of the silver linings of this recession. I think it’s given people a reason/excuse/push in a direction they may not have gone otherwise. Very little positive change comes from being comfortable.

Thomas/Chris—I was also a consultant for about six years. I have a single line for each client I worked with, with something very high level (e.g. “Served as interim HR Director for Acme Corporation, a financial consulting firm experiencing a period of rapid change/growth”). Then I draw out whatever experience I need to highlight in the cover letter.

Your mileage may vary, obviously, but it works for me.

I’ve also found that including ALL of the companies I’ve worked with has helped, because some of them are big, well-known employers (at least in my area), which seems to give me credibility. I’ve had people find me based having searched LinkedIn for a particular company name, and I’ve had others tell me they thought I must know something since all those big companies had hired me. It’s nuts, but I’m not about to correct them.

Elizabeth, Career Coach September 18, 2009 at 1:58 am

One point that the job seekers need to know is that often resume reviewers read the cover letter AFTER they read the resume. If you do not have the “key words” in your resume that focus on core competencies, the reviewer may never get to your cover letter! It is critical that your resume “stands on its own” so that hopefully the reviewer will then read your cover letter. As an HR professional who has managed and conducted hiring for 1000s of employees over my career, I never read the cover letter unless the resume was “spot on”. I used the cover letter as an indicator of the applicant’s level of interest for the position and the company and secondly as writing sample.

Chris M. September 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Kerry, I agree that including all your employers is a good idea, and that’s also my choice. What I have to do each time is to select a few projects I’ve done for these clients to detail in the resume along with the high level description that never changes.

My consulting assignments span different areas, and it’s important in my case to highlight projects that I’ve done and are relevant for the position I’m seeking. If I were working on a very specialized field, I agree that it would probably be a waste of time to be customizing the resume every time.

Yet another job seeker September 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I customize some resumes and not others. At 40+ years old, it is hard to fit a lifetime of experience in 2 pages. My last 3 jobs cover more than 10 years. Depending onthe opportunity, I make one job “more important” than the other with more things that I have done.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }