Sunday Extra: See Rick Run

Sunday Extra: See Rick Run

by Kerry Scott on 4 October 2009

119003396_d2165c9536

The first year we were married, I bought my husband a book.

He had been running a few miles a day for a while.  On Sundays, he’d do his “long run, ” which was about five miles.  The first year we were married, I bought him a book on how to train for your first marathon.  He thanked me, and then he put the book on a shelf.

A year or so later, we were arguing about something-or-other, and I was telling him he hadn’t done this or he should do that or whatever it was, and I said, “And also, you never like the gifts I give you.  I got you that book about how to run your first marathon, and you just put it right on the shelf.  You never even looked at it.”

So he looked at the book that night.

And many times since then, I have regretted opening my big mouth.  This mostly happens on weekdays, when his alarm clock goes off at 5am.

He ended up reading that book and running his first marathon.  And now he’s run 23 marathons and eight ultra-marathons.  He has a more than full-time job supporting a family of four, and we have two small children who he spends lots of time with, and he also does a lot of other stuff around the house (like painting, which I suck at, and which he can do perfectly without ever needing that tape that keeps you from having sloppy lines).  When you do all that and STILL run marathons, you have to do crazy stuff, like getting up at 5am to run every day, year round, even when it’s -10 degrees outside.  In Wisconsin, it’s -10 degrees in the morning a lot.  No matter what, he gets it all done.  He’s dedicated like that.

He’s always been fast.  He’s always been a good runner.  But today, he did something he’s been working on for seven years:  he qualified to run the Boston Marathon.  He’s been working toward that goal for seven years, and today he made it.

This obviously has nothing to do with job hunting, but since it’s my blog I can do whatever I want, and today I want to say:

Rick, I’m really proud of you.

And also, as soon as you’re rested up, I’d like you to paint the bathroom.

{ 10 comments }

Ronnie Ann October 4, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Gosh! I’m proud of him too and I don’t even know him. I can’t even run up three flights of steps. Go Rick!
.-= Ronnie Ann´s last blog ..Are There Really 50 Ways to Leave Your Job, Jack? =-.

Melissa October 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Working for seven years to achieve a goal — now that’s some dedication. Best of luck at Boston Marathon!

(And just so you know you’re not alone in the paint department. Even with the tape I manage to get paint where it’s not supposed to be.)
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..Redefining Success =-.

Jessica Lewis October 4, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Wow, that’s a huge accomplishment! I can’t paint well even with the tape.

Oh, the marathon thing is good, too. Way to go, Rick!
.-= Jessica Lewis´s last blog ..Twitter milestones =-.

Tim G October 4, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Wow – my wife sometimes regrets that she encouraged my running, but I don’t think she’ll ever have to include the springtime trip to Boston in her travel plans.
Congrats to Rick and to you as well. If you have a family it takes support to get it all done.
.-= Tim G´s last blog ..Are You a Magoo? =-.

Sabrina October 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Good for him. I only run if I’m being chased by someone with a big knife. Or at dinner time.

Em-Dash October 5, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Way to go Rick! If you ever want to run in circles for the Moscow Marathon, I’ll cheer you on in person!

For now, I’ll send you transatlantic psychic cheering for Boston. Way to go!

Runner Rick (the husband) October 5, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Kerry is far too nice. I guess she really wants me to paint! Seriously, any marathoner will tell you it’s difficult to run this distance without some level of family support/understanding for all the training involved. I owe her a big thank you.

Kerry Sandberg Scott October 5, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Speaking of family support/understanding, this is what our 4-year-old daughter thought of this:

Me: Daddy won his race! He is going to Boston!
Kid: What’s Boston?
Me: It’s like Vegas. You know how we watch So You Think You Can Dance, and the people get all excited because they got a ticket to Vegas? Boston is like Vegas for runners. So when Daddy comes home, you say, “You’re going to Boston!” to him, just like when we pretend we’re on So You Think You Can Dance and you’re the dancer and I’m the judge and you get a ticket and run around the family room yelling, “I’m going to Vegas.”
Kid: Okay.
Me: Let’s practice. What do you say when Daddy walks in the door?
Kid: You’re going to Boston!!
Me. Cool.

[later that day]

Me: [nudges kid] Hey, what do you say to Daddy about his race?
Kid: Ummm…You’re going to Costco!

Because “Boston” and “Costco” apparently sound alike, and because she thinks Costco is the greatest place you could possibly go, ever since we walked through and she saw that they sell little fairy-sized brownie cakes AND a Barbie RV.
———————————————

Em-Dash—I showed him that post you had not long ago about the Moscow Marathon. He thought it was really cool. So maybe someday…

class factotum October 5, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Congratulations! That is quite impressive. If I had my way, the only running I would do would be to Kopp’s.
.-= class factotum´s last blog ..Marriage 201, Lecture 734: Wasting time =-.

Ben Eubanks October 6, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Congrats, Rick (and Kerry, for having a fun trip to look forward to!). I’ve run one ultramarathon in my running career, and I’m not in a hurry to repeat that just yet. I know what you went through at least partially, though, and I’m in awe. Rock it, bro.
.-= Ben Eubanks´s last blog ..I have finally been oriented =-.

Comments on this entry are closed.