This Might Actually Be Better Than Ice Cream

This Might Actually Be Better Than Ice Cream

by Kerry Scott on 5 March 2010

Friends, by reading this genealogy blog, you are increasing your coolness immeasurably.

See, genealogy is hot.  White hot.  Like, melt-your-keyboard hot.  Why else would The New Yorker have run this article about how Americans are “mad about genealogy?”  They wouldn’t.  The New Yorker doesn’t lie.  Everyone knows that.

But that’s not all.  See, remember that show Sex in the City?  Remember how everyone started wearing ridiculously uncomfortable shoes and drinking really expensive drinks, because they made it seem cool?  Well, the star of that show, Sarah Jessica Parker, is about to do the same thing for family history.  She’s one of the first celebrities featured in Who Do You Think You Are, which premieres tonight on NBC.  They have other celebrities too, like Lisa Kudrow and Emmitt Smith.

Yeah, I know we’re all mad at NBC about Conan or Leno or something like that (I wouldn’t know, because I go to bed at 9:30).  But seriously, you HAVE to watch this.  The genealogical world has been on fire about this for months, and tonight’s the night.  It’s going to be awesome, and it’s (supposedly) going to do for genealogy what Roots did in the 1970s.  And then you can tell all your friends that you were totally on the cutting edge of this trend, because you hang out here at Clue Wagon.  See how I lead you right to the coolness?  You’re welcome.

(Seriously, you have to watch this show.  Because you know who else they’re going to have?  Matthew Broderick. As in Ferris Bueller.  Swoon. Can you imagine?  Ferris Bueller and genealogy AT THE SAME TIME.  If I can watch it while eating some ice cream, my head my actually explode from the overabundance of awesomeness.)

Who Do You Think You Are.  It’s on tonight at 8pm eastern/7pm central.  Be there.  Otherwise you suck.

Disclaimer: NBC didn’t pay me a dime for promoting this.  Weenies.  Also, I’m kind of mad at them because 30 Rock wasn’t on last night.  But then I forgave them, because of Ferris Bueller.

Photo by D. Sharon Pruitt

Louise Fletcher March 5, 2010 at 8:02 am

I watched every one of the UK shows. They are AMAZING! So fascinating. I hope the US version is as good.
.-= Louise Fletcher´s last blog ..How Would Steve Jobs Look for a Job? =-.

abdpbt March 5, 2010 at 8:17 am

Oh, that starts tonight? I’ve got to watch it. It looks very cool. And yes, you are on the cusp of a huge increase in genealogical interest, my friend.
.-= abdpbt´s last blog ..New York Salt & Pepper Shakers =-.

Debi March 5, 2010 at 9:38 am

The DVR is set and ready to go. Although I will be watching, I always like to have the DVR recording just in case some horrible thing happens which makes me not able to watch the show or if I get distracted during the show. Can’t wait!

And I’ll substitute the ice cream with a nice bottle of wine :-)

Kerry March 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

Oh, I tell you what, I’d never watch anything without the DVR. If I’m trying to watch TV at 7pm, someone is always pooping his pants, or clubbing the other one with a Tonka truck, or wanting help getting Barbie’s hochie pants on, or grabbing the remote to try and change the channel back to PBS Sprout because OMG THIS IS BOOOOOO-RING AND CAN’T WE WATCH DRAGON TALES?

So while the rest of you are watching this at a reasonable hour, I’ll get to it after the descendants are in bed and it’s (relatively) quiet. Unless I collapse before then.

Susan Tiner March 5, 2010 at 11:45 am

We’re so uncool we don’t even have cable, so we’ll have to wait for it to come out on netflix.

Kerry Scott March 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

Susan—you might be able to watch it online. I know Hulu carries a lot of NBC shows. Might be worth a look this weekend (after it’s aired…I don’t know what the lag times is for that sort of thing but I’m guessing it’s at least a day or two).

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith March 5, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thanks, Kerry, for a fun week on my site!

Keep these ancestor stories coming!

Bill ;-)

Author of “13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories”
.-= Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith´s last blog ..Follow Friday – 5 Mar 2010 =-.

Debi March 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Kerry – Looking forward to your comments about the show!

Evil HR Lady March 8, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I watched this based on your recommendation. I thought it was interesting, although a bit too dramatic. I’ll have to keep watching it. I think it could be interesting.

And, yeah, about the 30 Rock? Seriously people, the Olympics have messed with my television viewing.
.-= Evil HR Lady´s last blog ..Laid Off =-.

Kerry Scott March 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm

It WAS a little dramatic (although I think that had more to do with the celebrity’s own style than anything else). Also, that is NOT how research works…they made it look very, very easy. But it’s a 1-hour TV show (47 minutes without commercials), so I get why they did that.

On the other hand, at the end, when she was talking about how this made her understand her connection to American history, and realize that she was a real American? That was totally real. Finding out your family history gives you a completely different perspective on history (American and otherwise). EVERY family has people who were part of history, because that’s what history is…ordinary people living through stuff. You don’t have to be related to anyone famous to find your place in it.

Plus, I can’t tell you how much fun it is for we genealogists to get to share this with the rest of our friends and family. My husband really enjoyed it (not enough to spend a day at the archives cranking microfilm with me, but a girl can dream, right?).

Susan Tiner March 12, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I was able to download the show from iTunes, so I watched it, and had a mixed reaction. Sarah Jessica Parker was too over the top for me. I did like the genealogists, librarians, and well, I guess everyone except Ms Parker. It seemed a bit hokey that she was so concerned about her ancestors doing “the right thing” because finding out anything bad about them would really upset her. Really? But I did love the positive message about connecting to American history, to being an American.

Mindy March 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Whoa. I thought *I* had a shit-ton (my new favorite phrase from abdpbt) of family photographs, but THAT is a wallfull. I have a family tree printout from a software program that literally took up a ten by eight foot wall, partially because one side was so extensive and others were too dysfunctional to go more than a generation or two back. I bow. I love the idea of plotting it all on maps. I found my family’s ancestral home, but it is now a rental in Rosslyn, Scotland, near the Rosslyn Cathedral made recently re-famous by The DaVinci Code. I can’t stay in my grandfather’s home because I can’t afford 600 pounds sterling a night!

Eliz March 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I missed it! Was it on this week, too? I’m going to Hulu now to find the SJP episode.

And what was with NBC for making us wait until this week for a new 30 Rock?
.-= Eliz´s last blog ..And So It Begins =-.

Kerry Scott March 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Yep, it was on last night too, with Emmitt Smith. I haven’t watched that one yet (it’s on the DVR) but the reviews have been very good for the second episode.

NBC hates us and wants us to be cranky. That’s why they withhold 30 Rock. It’s the only explanation.