Free Stuff, Cool Stuff and Nice Stuff

Free Stuff, Cool Stuff and Nice Stuff

by Kerry Scott on 6 May 2010

First, the free stuff:

Footnote.com is offering free access to its entire collection of newspapers throughout the month of May.  That’s a great deal.  Even if you’re not all that into genealogy, it’s fun to find your grandparents’ wedding announcement, articles on historical events, etc.  Check it out.  (Hat tip:  Thomas MacEntee at Geneabloggers)

Next, the cool stuff:

Jasia at Creative Gene recently ran a three part series on how to create composite photos like the ones at How to Be a Retronaut.  It’s a must-read.  I can’t wait to try it.

Finally, the nice stuff:

A very belated thank you to Sarah B. at Geneapprentice, Joanne Schleier at Keeper of the Records, and Nancy at My Ancestors and Me for granting me the Ancestor Approved award.  I’m very surprised and thrilled, especially since I’m so new to the online genealogical community.  I’m supposed to name 10 genealogical bloggers of my own to receive the award, but I’m pretty sure everyone has already been ancestorally-approved at this point, so I’ll just say:  thank you very much.  And also, if you personally hear from any of my ancestors about their approval of me, could you please ask them where Uncle Clarence is buried?  Because that dude is seriously hard to find.

Now if you need me, I’ll be lying in bed with a heating pad, watching bad TV.  Yesterday as I was teasing my husband for turning 40, I bent over to pick something up, and I did something Very Very Bad to my back.  Now I can hardly move.  I believe the medical term for this is “karma.”

Photo by E. Bartholomew

Amy Boland May 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

“Poetic justice?”
.-= Amy Boland´s last blog post: What to Make with What’s Left: Compost =-.

Kerry Scott May 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Probably.

Debi May 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I’m so anxious to try out footnote. But their website metions only a 7 day trial – is there something special needed in order to get it for the entire month of May?

Kerry Scott May 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I can’t get on the site right now, but I believe you have to go to the “newspapers” section (the May special is only for newspapers…the free trial will give you everything else too, but only for seven days).

I actually have a subscription to Footnote, and it’s worth it…it’s a great site for military records in particular.

Nancy May 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I’m sorry to hear you’re in bed and in pain. I hope you feel better soon.

If I happen to hear from one of your ancestors, I will ask him/her about the whereabouts of Uncle Clarence – location of death, name of newspaper with obituary, and cemetery – and explain the necessity of your finding the grave in order to ensure their continued approval of you. :>)

You’ve got such a great sense of humor. I appreciate the chuckles I’ve had this evening.

Get better soon.
.-= Nancy´s last blog post: Common, Uncommon. Too Many, Too Few. =-.

Kerry Scott May 7, 2010 at 6:30 am

Thank you Nancy…I think my sense of humor this week is sponsored by Advil and whoever manufactured this heating pad!

Susan Tiner May 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

Feel better Kerry, and thanks for the note about footnote.

Debi May 10, 2010 at 11:15 am

I finally had an opportunity to spend some time on footnote (my Mother’s Day gift to myself) and guess what article came up with my first search? The wedding announcement from my great grandparents! How fun was that to read about the day, including who served as bridesmaids and groomsmen. Most of them were relatives so that gave me new clues. Thanks for suggesting it – can’t wait to spend more time there.

Kerry Scott May 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Cool!

Cool stuff May 20, 2010 at 1:32 am

Thanks for the information! I’ve been meaning to start this process myself so this is a big help.