My husband turned 40 today. I took my 4-year-old to the dollar store so should could pick out and pay for gifts all by herself. She chose:
- A Hot-Wheels freezer pack (“for boo-boos, bumps and bruises,” says the package)
- A laminated map of the human digestive system
- A plastic pot of pink polyester flowers
- Some gag glasses (you know, the kind with the plastic nose attached)
- A tub of tutti-fruitti gumdrops shaped like “Os,” because “Daddy likes the letter O” (a fun fact about Daddy I’d never heard before)
She also picked out his card. It’s a Bar Mitzvah card. She can’t read yet, so she doesn’t know that, and she chose it because it had a picture of a guy dancing under a disco ball. She said “That’s Daddy dancing.” Daddy doesn’t dance. We had our wedding reception on a dinner cruise boat to ensure there would be no dancing required.
Sometimes family history is what’s happening right here, right in front of you.
Photo by Mykl Roventine