While looking for a photo for another post, I found this old favorite of mine, of Blogger Barbie. I love it. I can’t post it here, unfortunately, because it no longer has a Creative Commons license…but you should click through and take a look.
So now I’m sitting here pondering this: What would a Genealogist Barbie have?
Here’s my guess:
- Glasses, because peering at those old census images can be hard on the eyes
- Bags under her eyes and some junk in the trunk, because that’s what happens when you spend all of your free time sitting still and looking for dead people
- Quarters, for the lockers at the historical society library
- Allergy medication, for when she’s working in the moldy basement of a courthouse
- Protein bars and bottled water, so she can run out to the hallway, have a quick bite, and then go right back in and keep researching (lunch breaks are for wimps)
- Sturdy shoes and a GPS unit for stomping through rural cemeteries, and running shoes and a cell phone for stomping through urban ones
- An old Genealogy.com mousepad, from back when people still used both Genealogy.com and mousepads
- A fireproof suit, for the occasional internet flame war
- Piles of papers, and people like Ken or Skipper who come over and step into her home office in the Barbie Dream House and warily ask, “Ummm, why do you have three piles of death certificates on your desk?”
- Mailing labels with her own address on them, to make it faster to fill out the postcards when she goes to the FHC
- A copy of Evidence Explained, because even Barbie wants to cite her sources correctly
What am I missing?
Photo by madelineyoki
Get more stuff like this
Don't miss a thing. Subscribe to new posts via email.