What’s The Story Behind This $8/Hour Genealogy Job?

What’s The Story Behind This $8/Hour Genealogy Job?

by Kerry Scott on 4 November 2010

I’m taking a break from my all-consuming project to gossip.

I have search alerts set up to email me when various types of jobs are posted.  This morning I opened up the following job listing from Indeed:

Part Time Genealogy Researchers – North Syracuse, NY

Genealogy Researchers needed to conduct online family genealogy research. Qualified candidates must be proficient in MS Office and experience researching family genealogy online. Ideally looking for someone with history degree/background or extensive researching experience specific to genealogy. Experience in conducting phone surveys a plus. Part time, long term temporary position. $8.00 per hour. This is NOT a telecommuting position.

This ad appears every so often (maybe every 6-8 weeks or so), and has since at least June 2009 (maybe longer, but that’s when I first noticed it).  The addition of the part about experience in conducting phone surveys is fairly new though.  The ad is posted by a temp agency, not the hiring entity.

I actually applied for this job when I first saw it, just to see what it was about.  I didn’t get far though since I’m in Milwaukee, not Syracuse (and they’ve since added the language about not telecommuting). I asked for details about the job, but I didn’t receive a reply.

The curiosity is killing me.  What IS this job?  What genealogy job could possibly include phone surveys, require a history degree, and pays less than a fast-food job?

Anyone have the scoop on this?

Photo by shawnzrossi

Misty K November 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I found the same post mentioned in the “Upstate New York Genealogy Blog”. Dick Hillenbrand mentions at the bottom of the post that he knows the people and the project. Maybe you could find out the details from him.

Kerry Scott November 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Interesting. I posted a comment there, and I’ll report back if I find out more.

Upstate New York Genealogy November 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Hi Kerry,

I answered your comment on my Blog. thanks for asking and I can tell you that is is for real.

Dick Hillenbrand

Kerry Scott November 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Dick—thanks for your quick response. I’m even more curious now—why wouldn’t they want to share details if it’s on the up-and-up? They have a temp agency handling the screening for them, so it’s not like they’re going to be bombarded with candidates (and given the fact that they’ve been running the ad continuously for at least 17 months, it seems they’re not being too overwhelmed with qualified people).

I’m a former HR person, and my area of expertise is recruitment strategy…so I’m very surprised that any company would turn down free advertising by refusing to provide information about a job for which they’re recruiting. If they weren’t so cloak-and-dagger about it, they probably wouldn’t need to pay that temp agency any more (and since temp agencies typically have a pretty steep markup, it’s a mystery to me as to why they’d choose that option).

Dave G. November 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm

As I tweeted – mystery solved, I think.

FROM — http://web.lemoyne.edu/~judge/intopps.htm

Agency/Firm: Contemporary Personnel Staffing
Location: 904 Seventh North Street, Manlius, NY, 13104
Duties: Work with genealogy/research experts to update 3-vol. History & Genealogy of the Pomeroy Family (1912-1922), researching Pomeroys in America & beyond.

Prerequisites: Genealogical research & strong computer skills required.
Terms: $8/hr, up to 19 hrs/wk, M-Th 1-5 pm, temp. hire, apply ASAP
Contact: Michele Carey jobs@cpsprofessionals.com 315-457-2500, fax: 315-457-1400

Dave G. November 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Yes, solved indeed.

I’ve got a name, e-mail, and home phone number for the lead reseearcher, too.

Dave G. November 4, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Ah, there we are – http://www.projectroots.com (though if you drop the www. you get a slightly different site, and the contact page is a little different, too). This would be the group actually seeking the temps – division of Cxtec.

Interesting, but why all the secrecy?

I agree with your assessment – very odd recruiting strategy.

Kerry Scott November 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Nice work, Dave!

It’s certainly an interesting choice to have a goal of updating an old published genealogy…but refuse any help that isn’t onsite in one location only. It seems like that would pretty much require internet-only research. That would not be my choice in terms of how to improve upon an existing body of work.

I wonder what the phone survey component is too…maybe calling all of the Pomeroys in America to ask them for info?