Vote For Me. Because The Rent Is Too Damn High. Or Something.

Vote For Me. Because The Rent Is Too Damn High. Or Something.

by Kerry Scott on 13 December 2010

So here’s a bizarre twist:

I’ve been nominated for Family Tree Magazine‘s annual 40 Best Genealogy Blogs.

I know, right?  Wacky.  That’s, like, a real magazine.  I actually have a subscription to it.  I feel totally legit now.

You can vote here.  I’m in the first category, which is called “Everything.”  I took a look at the other blogs in that category, and I’m totally going to get crushed.  Did you follow the New York governor’s race?  You know that one guy who ran as The Rent is Too Damn High candidate?  I have the same odds of winning as that guy did.

But still, vote (vote a bunch, actually, because they let you vote as many times as you want, through Monday).  If you want to, I mean.  I feel a little weird asking, especially since there are other blogs listed that I love.  You should definitely check them out.

This is one of those situations where it really is an honor just to be nominated.  I’m kind of gobsmacked.  My grinchy little heart grew two sizes this afternoon.

Photo by aturkus

Amy December 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Lol on the rent guy. You rock. More than you know.

Eastman’s going to dominate. We should stage a TMZ-style Twitter fight to get votes.

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Hell, I voted for Eastman.

I was going to point out that one of the nominees in another category sort of resembles Carl Paladino, but I decided against it. Perhaps I’ll come back to it when my grinchy heart shrinks again. Right now I just want to hug everyone.

kristin December 13, 2010 at 3:28 pm

i wanted to vote for the rent’s too damn high guy but don’t live in new york but i voted for you and here i go to vote again. if you win i’ll be counting on seeing lower house payments!

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

And a chicken in every pot!

I’m actually a vegetarian, but if I promise tofu in every pot, they’ll probably kick me out of the contest altogether)

Cynthia Shenette December 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Don’t dismiss the power of a psychic. Pure genius. Why didn’t I think of that? I might not be a psychic, but I think I see a win in your future.

Good luck!

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Thank you!

(Hey, I should email the psychic. She’d probably vote for me.)

Marian Pierre-Louis December 13, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Don’t sell yourself short! You have one of the best blogs out there, if not the best blog. If refreshing, original content was the category you would be #1.

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Thank you! I like the words “refreshing” and “original.” Those are nicer than some of the other ones I’ve heard.

Susan Tiner December 13, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I voted!

It is adorably cute to see an ad for a pop tarts contest on your blog :-)

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm

You know, I don’t get to pick the ads that run (I can opt out of some, but otherwise they send ‘em and they run). But when they started running those Pop-Tart ads, I was secretly thrilled, even though Pop-Tarts are bad for you. I feel like a crack dealer, but without the drive-by shootings and stuff.

Susan Tiner December 13, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Do you really like those smiley emoticons? I changed my settings on my blog so it doesn’t convert the text to graphics.

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I never even notice them. I’m going to have to go hunting for that setting.

Greta Koehl December 13, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Hah, I already voted for you – even before I saw the flying pig – which, I have to say, is identical to the one hanging from the ceiling in my younger daughter’s bedroom (the one who is studying to be an eccentric artist). You’re right, it’s totally a killer category, but I’m betting on you. And now I have to go back and check profile pictures on the blogs to see which one looks like Carl Paladino (it is a guy, right?). Oh, and congratulations!

Kerry Scott December 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Thank you!

Susan December 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Can’t decide if I’m voting for your wit, wisdom or wonderful use of graphics. But I’m voting! And since I almost live in Illinois I can be bought.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Thank you. I have no money to buy your vote though. Will you accept payment in cheese curds? That works up here in Wisconsin…

Sheri Fenley December 14, 2010 at 5:14 am

Sista Mouthastasia – after your performance in the Halloween video, calling out bullies in the sandbox, stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork and now your cover of screwing the partridge, well – you are a shoe in. Shoe out. Um, well… you know what I mean.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm

My kids are STILL asking for that Halloween video.

I hope the PETA people don’t come after me about the partridge.

(and congratulations to you too!)

Tina Lyons December 14, 2010 at 6:31 am

Congrats on all your awesome posts leading to your nomination. We need more of your humor in the genealogy world.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Thanks!

Dee December 14, 2010 at 7:07 am

I voted for you.

How many times can we vote? I believe in voting early and often.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Thank you!

(I have no idea how many times—I don’t want to be all Chicago-y or anything like that)

Yvonne December 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm

lol@this post!

I voted for you! Don’t worry, those of us who get “gobsmacked” will be in very good company, and we can drown our tears in eggnog maybe? If only I drank..oh well.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I’ve been chain-chugging Diet Coke since this news reached me. That’s probably bad (although not as bad as eggnog).

Yvonne December 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm

PS….I don’t think you’ll get ‘gobsmacked.’ You’re too funny!

Liz December 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Already voted for you … but hey, I’ll vote again if they let me :) Congratulations on the nomination. There ought to be a Keyboard!Category for stuff as funny as yours.

Kerry Scott December 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thank you! I definitely agree that it would be easier if I had my own category (especially since I actually like all of the people/blogs in my category)

Linda Gartz December 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Kerry,
Thanks for the comment on my blog! Glad to be joining with others “lovers of the dead!” I’m just getting my feet wet finding more about what’s out there, and it sounds like you have a great loyal following voting for you. Congrats on the nomination!

Mavis Jones December 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Congrats on being nominated!

Denise Coughlin December 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm

FYI……..I did vote you!!! And so did a few dead folks I know from Chicago :)