Bonnethead News and Other Assorted Miscellaney

Bonnethead News and Other Assorted Miscellaney

by Kerry Scott on 3 January 2011

Post image for Bonnethead News and Other Assorted Miscellaney

I had high hopes of starting off the new year with a long, deep post about some meaningful topic.  This isn’t that post.

As it turned out, I bought a MacBook Air on Saturday.  That means I’m transferring everything from my old PC laptop to my new one while also learning how Macs work.  It’s making me crabby.

So since I know quite a few of you are Laura Ingalls Wilder fans like me, let me clear three different sticky notes off of my monitor at once by sharing some news:

• Sarah Uthoff, who you might know from last summer’s awesome LauraPalooza, has started a podcast on BlogTalkRadio.  Check it out.  Nobody knows more about Laura Ingalls Wilder and Little House than Sarah.  I plan to download it on iTunes as soon as I get my computer situation sorted out.
  • Wendy McClure has written a book about her adventures as a Laura fan, from wading in Plum Creek to churning butter (in her apartment, not on the prairie).  It’s coming out in April, but you can pre-order on Amazon now.  Wendy is hilarious on Twitter, and I cannot wait to read this book.
  • If you go on Etsy and search “Laura Ingalls” or “Little House on the Prairie,” you will find all sorts of interesting stuff…like, for example, the bracelet pictured above, which I bought from this seller.  Call me a dork if you want, but I love it.

On a totally unrelated note, here are three other random things:

• My local suburban newspaper had a call for stories about people who had made positive changes in 2010.  I submitted my story, and they printed it, along with a picture of me scraping snow off of a headstone.  I’m not making that up.  In the print version of the paper, my story was at the top of the front page.  My kids got a kick out of it.  Sadly, they’re the only people I know who read the newspaper anymore…but it was fun.
  • I’m going to RootsTech.  Woo-hoo!
  • BlogHer, the network who provides some of my ads, syndicated one of my posts last week—the one about auto-renewal subscriptions and how to foil them.  So, uh, if you want to read it again for some reason…well, here you go.

DISCLAIMER: I have no financial connection to Sarah Uthoff, Wendy McClure, Rootstech, my local suburban paper, or the Etsy seller.  The Amazon link is an affiliate link.  You can read more about how those work here.

Amy January 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’d love to talk to you about the BlogHer experience while we’re at RootsTech. You know, in our spare time when nothing’s going on….lol.

Maybe we can be our own unconference on the subject. Apparently we’ll have the opportunity to create some sessions on the spot.

Kerry Scott January 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

You bet (or email me if you want, in the meantime…I’m just sitting here waiting for something like 50GB of files to upload to Dropbox so I can download them to this new computer).

Kathryn Doyle January 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Kerry,
Love the bracelet and the Laura books. Are you a fan of Maud Hart Lovelace and Lucy Maud Montgomery as well? They were my favorite childhood authors and they all lump together in my head. (Maybe it’s the three-name thing). Hang in there with the Mac – learning new skills is supposed to ward off senility. I’m a total Mac-o-phile and will be glad to help if you have questions.

Kerry Scott January 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm

LOVE Maud Hart Lovelace. I’ve been reading them to my 5-year-old. I actually went looking for ancestors in a cemetery in Mankato years ago and nearly tripped over her grave there.

I never read “Anne of Green Gables,” but when my daughter’s just a bit older it’ll be on our list. It’s all part of my nefarious plan to make her into a bonnethead too.

Cynthia Shenette January 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I LOVED Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a kid. In my imagination I was her. Well, except that I lived in Massachusetts…in a city…in a three-family. We had fireplace though. Really. I was right there with her–twisting straw, going to socials. She got bangs, I got bangs. I even wanted calling cards just like hers.

I am all over that bracelet, BTW. (I notice they have Lucy Maude Montgomery bracelets too.)

I enjoyed the newspaper article, and congrats on the BlogHer post!

Dee January 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Oh wow, I was a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan too. I never realized there was an entire craft industry that sprung up around her.

Congrats on the news article and the BlogHer post…

Laura January 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

I found a previous edition of this book very useful for reference when I switched from a PC to an iMac. I get easily frustrated learning new computer stuff and this saved me lots of aggravation! Check it out and see if it includes tips for MacBooks….
Switching to the Mac: the Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition
by David Pogue ISBN-13: 9780596804251

Kerry Scott January 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

Thank you SO much for this recommendation. I just bought it for my Kindle and it’s downloading now. I like David Pogue’s column in the NY Times so this is a great fit.

Susan Tiner January 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I switched to Mac last year and never looked back. I especially like the way you can consolidate all email accounts via Mac Mail and it keeps them all synchronized.

You know the coolest people — thanks for those links.

We love Little House and Anne of Green Gables.

Jo Graham January 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I loved the Laura books too – my cousins sent them from Canada to Scotland for me, also, I’ve awarded you the Ancestor Approved award (which Jennie awarded to me) for your blog that I really enjoy reading – thank you. You can read about the award in this post http://imagespast.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/ancestor-approved-award and you can also copy the Ancestor Approved graphic. Look forward to your further blogs :-) Happy New Year! Jo

Kerry Scott January 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Thank you!!

Amanda Epperson January 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Hi Kerry, you posts never fail to make me smile. So, I’ve given you the approved ancestor award. To learn more, visit: http://historiansfamily.blogspot.com/. Cheers,
Amanda

Kerry Scott January 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Thank you!

Amy January 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Congratulation on your article!

Linda Gartz January 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That bracelet is awesome for Ingalls-Wilder fans. I used to teach and had many students hooked on that series. Congrats on your new MAC. I switched from P.C. to Mac a year ago, and it’s changed my life. I don’t know if this is of interest to you, but if you bought your MacAir at an Apple store, you can sign up for One to One lessons that cost $99/year–for as many as you can fit in! (Some weeks I went as often as 5 times). Because of 1-1, I’ve set up a website, blog, learned to make photo books and cards, flyers, check my preferences, learned shortcuts and am doing things I never dreamed I could do on the P.C. — ’cause no one there to show me. And I never worry about viruses or my computer taking 20 minutes to start up.

Jenny Lanctot January 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I truly enjoy reading your blog! I am pronouncing you “Ancestor Approved” … the image and information is on my blog at http://aremyrootsshowing.blogspot.com/2011/01/ancestor-approved-again.html

Congrats!

Kerry Scott January 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Thank you!!!

C.T. Kruger January 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I’m still amazed you found your kin among 77,000 headstones. Thanks for the trip to Forest Home.

Kerry Scott January 13, 2011 at 7:12 am

Thanks to you too, C.T.—my family got a HUGE kick out of seeing that picture in the paper!