Guest Post from a Real Pilgrim

Guest Post from a Real Pilgrim

by Kerry Scott on 23 November 2011

Post image for Guest Post from a Real Pilgrim

Well, not a real pilgrim. This is a guest post from my first grader, who had an exercise at school yesterday in which she had to write a pretend diary as a Mayflower passenger named Sarah Eaton. My little future genealogist made sure to come home and tell me her specific Mayflower Lady name, because she said she knew that I know all of those olden days people.

The underlined parts are the ones she had to write herself. I think she has some real insight into not only the Mayflower journey, but also the air travel that I’m sure many of you are experiencing this weekend.

September 6, 1620—Day 1

We are off! I feel scared because the people on the boat is weird.

September 15, 1620—Day 10

Today we took a nap and I found [a] crack in the wall.

October 1, 1620—Day 26

It is the first day of October! We are feeling sick and tired.

October 15, 1620—Day 40

On the boat it looks awful on board.

October 25, 1620—Day 50

The pilgrims are hungry.

November 9, 1620—Day 67

We have arrived! We feel very excited I am too because I did not like that boat.

My little Pretend Sarah Eaton and I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Here’s hoping the people on your boat are not weird.

Photo by Vladisav Vezrukov

Heather Wilkinson Rojo November 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

“Everyones strange but me and thee, and even tha’s a bit odd”? a Welch saying attributed to Robert Owen (1771-1858). My grandmother used to say this quote all the time! Happy Thanksgiving!

Dee November 23, 2011 at 9:58 am

That’s adorable. The munchkin is in kindergarten and they made pilgrim hats and bonnets. They were so cute running around with them on.

Caroline Gurney November 23, 2011 at 10:07 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. It made my day. Looks like your daughter is going to take after you in terms of writing talent :-) Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Debi Austen November 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love that Sarah Eaton took the time to find a crack on the wall. She is adorable – you’ve taught her well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Lisa November 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Tell Miss Eaton that I really enjoyed reading her diary! I think that I would have felt about the same way on each of those days.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Jo Graham November 23, 2011 at 2:05 pm

“the people on the boat is weird” – probably an accurate description! 2 months on a boat with weirdos and no fresh fruit or veg (and cracks in the walls) – I hate flying but this would have sent me over the edge. Little pretend Sarah and me are in the same boat, as it were :-)

Margaret E November 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

A crack in the wall on a boat would be a bit disturbing. After reading how small the Mayflower was I understand completely why she “did not like that boat.” Good work Sarah Eaton!

Rondina November 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

That was precious. BTW, while you are carefully archiving everything your children do–take pictures of their work too. That way, if something was to happen to it, the pictures would still be in a cloud.

Happy Thanksgiving, Kerry. I hope Miss Sarah enjoyed eating her meal on dry land.

Susan Tiner November 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

Well Miss Sarah Eaton, we are very glad to have you here in the United States, which is a not a boat, but I’m afraid the people here are still weird. Probably weirder than the people on the boat. But we’re friendly.