We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Badges

We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Badges

by Kerry Scott on 30 January 2012

Post image for We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Badges

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I was a corporate chick.

You know what corporate chicks have? Badges. Lots of ‘em. For a while I was a consultant, and I got badges for all sorts of companies. After that, I was a permanent resident in corporate-land. That meant more badges.

I started collecting all the badges I got. A few of them are above, but I have more in a box upstairs. I was too lazy busy to go get them for this post.

Now I work for a company that lets me work from home. One thing about working from home is that you don’t get a badge. This was threatening to break my years-long streak of saving a badge from every company I worked for. Obviously, something had to be done, because I put up with a whole lot of meetings and stuff to earn those badges, and I’m not breaking my streak now.

I toyed with the idea of issuing myself a badge for my home office, but that seemed goofy (even though I can assure you it would have been the coolest badge ever). I pondered, I researched, I googled, and I pondered some more.

Then, just in time for RootsTech, I found these:

Those are both my work and my real-life Twitter handles. They perfectly represent my transition to badgeless un-corporate life. One is a bit shorter than the other, so I can wear them both at RootsTech. I actually thought about getting a third one with the #genealogy hashtag, but I ran out of money (and also, three necklaces worth of neck space would require me to wear tops that are a little too boobalicious for Utah).

So if you’re going to RootsTech, look for me. I’ll be the one with the shiny new un-badges.

Note: I got the necklaces from Survival of the Hippest. I have zero connection to them other than as a happy customer. Also, confidential to my old airline colleagues: I did turn in the SIDA badge. I ain’t messin’ with TSA.

Debi Austen January 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I LOVE your new badges – quite chic and so un-corporate like.

NoOceanInKansas January 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love your post! I am a telecommuter too, and am thankful every day when I roll out of bed and walk to my home office. Also while doing the laundry and emptying the dishwasher while I’m on a conference call.
Thanks for the tip on the necklace, very cute!

Jo Graham January 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Love the badges – I’ll have to get myself one for my home office so I know who I am and that I’m entitled to be there. Off to Survival for the Hippest :-) Oh, I wonder if I need to get one for the cat so he can come in 9 to 5?

footnoteMaven January 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I have a paperweight with just the @ (I never know who I’m going to be from one day to the next.) Wonder if I can get that on a chain around my neck. Then you’ll recognize me as the one hunched over. -fM

Louis Kessler January 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hi Kerry,

I sympathize with your need for a badge. I understand they’ll give us a badge at RootsTech. But from what I gathered, last year they weren’t too exciting, so I made my own: http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=911

I’m a developer and GeneaBlogger and I’m hoping to meet you.

Louis

Susan Tiner January 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Those necklaces are fabulous but I think you should have also gotten the #genealogy hashtag, maybe as a bracelet?

Helen Spencer January 31, 2012 at 7:44 am

Very cool! I also have a bunch of corporate mugshots. Even worse than passport photos but full of memories!

C.T. Kruger January 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

When I’m home telecommuting (and I do that a lot…), I wear my corporate dogtag to signal my family that, yes, Dad is really working. Need help with homework or the faucet is dripping? Wait ’til Dad gets home…

Rondina Muncy January 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

When I first got involved with genealogy education I discovered that in genealogyland they have pins. So at the FGS and NGS conferences it is the girl with the most society pins that wins. (I don’t think boys play this game.) Extra points if you have a pin from an anniversary year. It’s akin to being the most powerful person in the room at the DAR chapter meeting if you have the most Revolutionary ancestor pins, even if you don’t hold a DAR office.

Brenda February 1, 2012 at 7:30 am

And you said you didn’t know what to pack/wear for RootsTech. :-) That’s a great start!